The JET Alumni Association is comprised of former JET Programme participants in forty-five regional chapters within twelve of the forty-five countries that have participated on the JET Programme (Australia, Brazil, Canada, China, France, Germany, Ireland, Japan, Korea, New Zealand, the UK and the USA). There is an increasing diversity of nationalities to be found within the JETAA membership. As of January 2003, there were over 14,000 members of the JETAA registered with CLAIR.
The purpose of JETAA is to provide support for alumni after leaving the JET Programme and to help them maintain contact with Japan, the JET Programme and other JET participants. This purpose is achieved through three main avenues:
- Employment Resources
- Social gatherings and readjustment assistance
- Recruitment, selection and orientation for new JET Programme participants.
JETAAWA also looks to provide the following roles:
- To reach out to the community via Japanese relations,
- A social club for former JETs,
- Assistance for JET Program recruitment,
- Japanese cultural exchange,
- Contact point for returnees,
- International JETAA network,
- A career advisor,
- Assistance with departure orientations, and
- Assistance for interested or successful applicants.