JETAAWA Committee Meeting
Date: 12 January 2011
Venue: Avanti, Victoria Park
Present: Nick John Apologies: Karen Carter
Nick Reed Karen Le Blanc
Luke Eaton Richard Southern
Andrew Paterson David Millin
Ms Matsuyama (Consulate)
- 1. Regional Conference Outcomes
Revised criteria for JETAA functions to include more opportunities to promote Japanese culture to the wider community. Necessary to show that JETAA functions are promoted to and attended by people other than JETs.
– Nick John will check photos from 2010 Family BBQ and Quiz Night for evidence that events were attended by non-JETs.
- 2. Upcoming Events
- a. 2011 Family BBQ, Kings Park
Date: To be confirmed by group consensus
Location: Kings Park, Synergy Parkland
Sausages & buns
Split the Watermelon Stilt Walking
Origami/Hat Making ]Cricket (kanga?)
Food items (as above)
Mochigome (for mochi-making)
Budget: Apply for AUD700.00
– Nick John to create doodle poll to determine best date for BBQ
– Nick to ask Shindo-san to play the flute
– Julius and/or Karen to update flyer
– Flyers to be posted to universities and distributed at Kaiwa
– Natalie to check Kings Park website re venue/hire requirements at Synergy Parkland
– Food duties to be assigned after Doodle poll/date selected
– Request Consulate to provide watermelon, origami paper, mochitsuki set
– Greater social duties of committee on the day. Circulate, introduce people etc
- b. JETAA/JAPSSOC Quiz Night
Date: Early – mid March. To be decided after consultation with JAPSSOC
Location: UWA Tavern
Nick John – MC (alongside JAPPSOC MC)
Luke Eaton – Quiz question vetter
Applied for AUD810.00; Entry fee AUD5.00
– Nick John to contact JAPSSOC President to organise date/discuss format
– Committee members to each devise 10 questions ; five Japanese or Australian-themed, and five general topic questions. Ensure questions are “inclusive”. Multi-choice recommended for difficult questions.
– Approach shops/restaurants for discount vouchers/prizes in exchange for promotion at Quiz Night (verbal/flyer distribution etc)
– Definite quote for venue hire to be forwarded to Matsuyama-san
- c. JETAAWA Annual General Meeting
Date: March – tentatively Friday, 25 March
Budget: AUD9.64 per person for catering + venue hire
Bar on Barrack – too expensive
Rigby’s – possible
43 Below – no venue fee, well-known to JET/Kaiwa community
Balmoral – AUD100.00 venue fee, good parking
Canton – free room hire, too busy/noisy on Friday evenings
Marque – Room hire AUD200.00; Food AUD100.00 per platter
INPEX Office – no room hire, self-catering possible (caterer’s kitchen/function equipment)
– Natalie to confirm if INPEX office could be used.
– Check calendar for good date
- 3. Other business
- a. Treasurer’s report
Luke reported there is AUD1036.00 in account. To date, 80% of CLAIR annual budget received, over 80% spent.
Waiting for reimbursement from Consulate for accommodation for regional conference. Matsuyama-san said that CLAIR had this day confirmed the amount, and Consulate will shortly reimburse JETAA
Alumni intends to purchase laminator.
When all pending reimbursements are made, we will have a float of AUD1060.00.
– End of meeting.